Suburban Panic!

13 June 2007

I've gotta get out of this place...

  The power's back on. Who knows for how long? It's been in and out for the last few hours. Phones are working, but calls don't go through. Busy signals, sometimes not even that.

  The barricades seem to be holding up better than my co-workers. People are jumpy, testy. Fights are inevitable. I don't want to be here when it starts.

  After a search of the floors that above the barricades, I've put together a traveling kit: a flashlight, some bottled water, matches, some snacks raided from the fridge. Weapons were hard to come by. I dismantled some shelves for the vertical supports. They're steel tubes, about three and a half feet long. Fairly sturdy, light enough to swing, but heavy enough to do some damage. I also grabbed a few pairs of scissors, but if they get close enough that I need those, I'm pretty much fucked.

  Dark clouds are rolling in, and I'm hearing thunder in the distance. Once it starts to rain, I'm going to make a break for it. I figure the rain will make it harder to see AND smell. The roofs on this block are all about the same height. I think I can get most of the way to the subway station before I have to go down to the street. If it's clear, I can use the tunnel and tracks to get to within a mile of home. If it's not clear... let's hope it's clear.

  If I can get home and get my wife, we're close to the highway. We can get out of town. If I don't make it, I want someone to know that I tried. Wish me luck.



disclaimer

No comments: