Suburban Panic!

28 May 2008

Caffiend 5/28/2008

  Trying to hack out my first soda-free day went surprisingly well until the middle of the afternoon. I drank about 36 ounces of water, and only missed the sweet taste a little.

  Okay, it was a lot. An awful lot, actually. No matter how many times you drink it, water doesn't taste good. It just tastes like wet. I think I drank so much because I kept hoping that the next sip would be sweeter. It wasn't.

  Around 3 pm, things went rapidly south. I started to have trouble focusing on the screen in front of me. Blinking turned into several seconds of closing my eyes, and my head took on a definite downward trajectory.

  I tried getting up and walking around, but it didn't really help. There's a limit to how vigorously one can exercise in an office suite shared with 20 other people. So, I gave up and shuffled over to the soda machine for a 12 ounce can of cola.

  Even though I failed, I'm calling it a partial victory. I just about halved my average daily consumption, and didn't actually fall asleep for more than a few seconds. These are the only marks in my win column, people. Let me enjoy my pathetic accomplishments.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say try Coke Zero, as it's sadly the best tasting (imho) calorie-less soda still filled with caffeine out there. As for water, I use a little lime or lime juice to help it out.

K.O. Myers said...

Why does everyone keep recommending caffeinated alternatives? Is my lack of willpower so obvious?

Thanks for the tip about the water. I think a bit o' flavoring might help.

Rose said...

It actually *is* quite the achievement. It's hard to break the caffeine habit - I do it periodically (except chocolate, you can have that when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers), and it's always tough. If you can spend a day off napping, it helps, but keep decreasing the amount and it'll get...if not easier, at least more do-able.

Good job! Don't quit!

K.O. Myers said...

Thanks for the encouragement. After a short night of poor sleep, I need all the encouragement I can get.

I may spend the whole weekend napping at this rate. It cannot arrive soon enough.

M said...

I would suggest trying fizzy water, but I seem to recall that you like flat soda. I was thinking that you were missing that carbonated mouthfeel.

K.O. Myers said...

Yeah, I don't dig the carbonation that much. It's all about the sweet taste.

Which, all things considered, isn't the worst thing I could be jonesing for. It's less destructive than crack, and a lot less expensive.