Suburban Panic!

11 July 2007

Tales From The Blue Line

  On my way home from work yesterday, I spotted a convergence of psychobabble chicanery that I'd previously seen only in unpleasant dreams. At one end of the car, a skinny, semi-professional looking blond woman reading The Secret. At the other end of the car, a rough, badly-used looking older gentleman cracking open a large envelope full of glossy Scientology paraphernalia. I swear I could see a fog bank of stupidity forming where their individual credulities converged.

  I'm sure I've beaten you about the head quite enough with my outrage over The Secret, but I don't think I've ever broached the subject of Hollywood's favorite cult "religion." (I don't have a tag for it yet, and until I find an alternate reality where my memory isn't so porous, I'll have to trust the silicon overlord.)

  I don't have the energy to get into it here. The alien warlords and ghosts are almost too ridiculous to comprehend. However, I will make this (not at all insightful) observation; any "religion" that charges you money to learn their teachings is a fucking cult, regardless of what any number of brain-addled celebrities would like you to believe.

  By the way, Scientology is also Hollywood's most notoriously litigious cult "religion," so I'll be sure to post a link to my legal defense fund as soon as I receive the cease and desist letter.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: